1. We love when you bring in photos, BUT only when they are realistic. When looking at hair inspiration, keep in mind what is feasible. Does the model have the same hair type, meaning is it fine or thick? If you have finer hair, we cannot make you look like Kim Kardashian without having to actually add hair to your head. Color is a whole other animal. If you have continually dyed your hair dark, those light blonde ombres are not an easy task. Lightener has to eat through all those layers of color and may require several appointments. Keep realistic expectations when bringing in photos to your stylist. We are beauticians not magicians.
2. There is no such thing as a “wash and wear” hairstyle. We can definitely achieve a low maintenance look, however, no maintenance is impossible. All hairstyles require some sort of product and finagling whether it be just combing or a little fluffing.
3. Count how many products we use. So many people say, “I can’t do anything with my hair” and when we ask what kind of products you use and you say, “none”, that is why. You will never be able to recreate the same look nor feel if you aren’t using products. And take this for an example, how many black heels do you own? Not all black shoes go with the same outfit. This means you may need a few “wardrobes” of hair products for different looks.
4. Do not change your color drastically too frequent. You hair is not a cat. It does not have 9 lives.
5. For color appointments please come with clean, dry hair. Color is more easily absorbed when it doesn’t have gunk and buildup to get through. And if we have to blow dry you before your color, we will charge you more for the added time and effort on our part.
6. If we tell you “no” or that will fry your hair, listen to us. You are our walking advertisements, we obviously do not want you advertising frazzled
hair. Trust us, we are only looking out for the integrity of your hair. However, if you must proceed, please budget for a deep conditioner. You will need it.
7. Do not blame us for giving you what you wanted. If you asked to go platinum blonde then realized you look much better as a brunette, we have to charge you. If you hate your new bangs, please don’t hate us. We only want to make you happy and beautiful. We live to please.
8. Split ends cannot be mended. Hair products cannot fuse hair together. There are products that will calm and smooth the fuzz, but the only thing that will get rid of split ends is a trim.
9. Salon products are better than Walmart’s and even though they may seem more costly, buy them. Why? Chemists. High end brands pay high-end bucks to chemists to create our luxurious products. Pantene, Pert, and Prauve are just cheap knockoffs with cheap ingredients. (Please refer to my blog Salon vs Drugstore for more information.)
10. Bleach is not as scary as you think. Many clients are terrified of bleach due to its so-called damaging effects. Bleach is only damaging when overlapped. Be honest with your hairstylist if you have had highlights or lightener in the past, even if you are brunette now. If your is long and you had highlights even two years ago, the lightener still lives on your ends.
11. We hate no-shows. If you need to reschedule an appointment or just cannot come in, please call us. We are not going to yell at you and this gives us the opportunity to fill your spot. Many of us work on commission. Without a booty in our chair we have no paycheck.
12. We would rather fix our mistake than you go elsewhere. You are not going to offend us if you are unhappy with something. Again, we live to please. We want you to be happy. It is devastating to us emotionally and financially when you go around talking about how unhappy you are with us and our work. Please let us know. We can only grow from our mistakes and if we don’t know, we can’t fix it.
13. Do realize we paid a lot of money for our education and we ARE educated professionals. I promise you, we kind of know what we are talking about. We will have a proper consultation with you and we understand that you are some smart cookies but we are the ones who have been trained.
14. If we are running behind, please be patient with us. You wouldn’t want us rushing on you to get to our next client. We try our best to give all our guests the same love and attention. If you just stay calm and be patient, we are guaranteed to give you the best customer service.